Saturday, July 4, 2009

THANK A SOLDIER FOR YOUR INDEPENDENCE DAY~

Wishing a "Happy 4th of July" just doesn't have the same meeting to me the past few years. I like the parades and the fireworks, we attended a celebration in the local park where crafts were sold and we bought a funnel cake and a corndog. Don is playing in the disk golf tournment there still. And this is the weekend 5 years ago that we moved to Kansas. Lots of things are important in life revolving around this time of the year. (some familiy birthdays as well) We also watched the local National Guard do a little demo of a battle, complete with booms and colored smoke. They even had a raid siren. They ran in the stream and hide behind the trees and the small stone bridge, fake bullets or rounds, popping out of guns and even a small sand bag area for hiding was built. Andrea said,,"oh that's loud, it's smelly" and of course I didn't have much sympathy for her since her brothers have both been in war zones the last two July 4 celebrations. I said, "that's what your brother's deals with each day". (maybe its uncaring but it was what was in my mind) She knew what I was talking about!
(above this is Casey in his room)
Most were complaining of the annoying rain we got this morning and that some of the early activities were delayed. None of that really mattered to me. I forsure am sick of hearing about the death of Micheal J.!!! ENOUGH ALREADY!
I listened to the news reports on TV of those celebrating at Ellis Island and the opening of the Crown at the Statue of Libraty today. Now, with tickets, visitors can go to the top again. That is exciting!
But, why?
Why is it exciting?
(below, Casey in front of the truck that he either drives or is the gunner on)
How are the picnics and the food, the events and the gatherings exciting?
Well it brings us all together, it's a time to remember, (at least thats what people say)
But do they talk about Grandpa, Uncle, Cousin, brother or son who have served this great country?
Do they share the stories of how the independence was won?
Do they share the stories of when they left or came home?
And lastly do they share the stories of those that did NOT come home?
THOSE that gave it all for us to have this time?
So today, that is what I think about. Not the beer or the weather, not where the best place to see the fireworks will be or that a group of people raised some ungodly amount of money to shoot them off.. Yes, I chat with others about it. BUT, I'm not really listening. NOT Really.
I'm remembering, my dad's brother Chuck, who was in Vietnam.
My father in law who was a Merchant Marine,
My oldest son who served last year in Iraq, spending time with his grandparents this week
and my 20 year old son who is in Iraq now..
And of the soldier from AFG. that is kidnapped.
And many who are in Military hospitals
and those who gave the ultimate gift to our Independence.
T H A N K S!
That's really what I'm thinking about. Just in case you didn't already know...
Have a Happy THANK A SOLDIER FOR YOUR INDEPENDENCE DAY!
(BELOW, view from that Casey has while guarding from the gunner position)
For the past few weeks I've bugged my 20 year old son who is an MP in Baghdad IRAQ, please send me some pictures. I know you can, with internet and the new camera that you got,, take some of your self and of the place there.
Just for mom, take some pictures.
Finally today, after he's had days of rest since they aren't leaving Baghdad and the Iraqi police don't come to get them to follow in a mission around town, and of course the internet would let him email them to me...
I got the picttures...
For me they are the celebration, the reason, the meaning of the 4th of July.
My Proud mom heart is full and wishing that he was home.
Joking and laughing on the phone with him and a buddy yesterday, SURE did help!!
But still we are counting the time for the end of his deployment.
GOD BLESS our soldiers, all men and women who gave their time, lives and those families that served during deployments!
GOD BLESS this Great Country, that we can always celebrate our Independence and Remember why we have it!















No comments: